The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mix n Match

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mix n Match Empty Mix n Match

Post  RiZZa Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:47 am

Can I use a 'full size' esc to run my 270 motor in my mrc ? After today I have a few issues with the stock losi gear and I don't particuarly want to buy another losi mini esc just for the drag brake as the bec isn't good enough to run a full size servo without possibly killing it. What about the out runner type motors ? How waterproof are and do they have a good bec/drag brake option ? At this point I'm ready to sell it as a roller....
RiZZa
RiZZa

Legend Status : 9

Back to top Go down

Mix n Match Empty Re: Mix n Match

Post  scottb Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:06 am

Hey Rizza....yeh i'm not to sure,in theary i would say yes.Troy should know

What are you selling as a roller???.......Did your truck go okay today?

Scott
scottb
scottb

Legend Status : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:02 am

As far as I know you can use a full size esc. I am currently using the Losi ESC from the night crawler as it has an awesome crawler mode with neutral brake and instant reverse but you can only use brushed motors. From what I understand brushless motors are water resistant but not as good as brushed motors for submerging. Hope this helps.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:27 am

Brushless motors are just as good if not better submerged......than brushed,its the sensord brushless that forums recon that might have a problem under water. As you all know mine practically lives under water & it is sensord,& i have done alot of digging on forums to find out differently.In saying that mine will probably Sh*t it self next week......nar proof is in the pudding they say & mines still going strong.
Hope this helps.

Scott
scottb
scottb

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Yeha Rizza, A full size ESC will run your MRC motor no issues.

Scottb is right as well, brushless motors are actually better for use in water. No Brushes to wear out, just make sure the bearings/bushings are clean and well lubed. The biggest issue is that the hall effect sensor on a sensored motor takes a #### when water hits it.
If you use a sensorless brushless, you're golden.

You've driven my Trucks Rizza, they run sensoless motors, not an issue man...Biggest thing will be trying to match up the bolt pattern of the stock motor with a outrunner...Can you give me a across measurement of the stock motors bolt pattern and i'll measure up one of my outrunners and check for sizing.

Cheers man.

Last edited by WIDELOAD on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  RiZZa Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:17 pm

The truck didn't do to bad, turns out when I zip tied the tic tac box to its shelf the seal around the top of the box split...... But she was on the bottom completely submerged when it happened but damn I had fun playing in the mud. Turns out the clicking wasn't my slipper but my front diff. Well I was looking to upgrade from the 270 size to a 380 size motor for some more oomph and wheelspeed. I've settled down now that I've thought about things a bit more now. So I'll piff the losi esc and servo off and get something better.
RiZZa
RiZZa

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 pm

RiZZa wrote:The truck didn't do to bad, turns out when I zip tied the tic tac box to its shelf the seal around the top of the box split...... But she was on the bottom completely submerged when it happened but damn I had fun playing in the mud. Turns out the clicking wasn't my slipper but my front diff. Well I was looking to upgrade from the 270 size to a 380 size motor for some more oomph and wheelspeed. I've settled down now that I've thought about things a bit more now. So I'll piff the losi esc and servo off and get something better.

Noice...yeah thats what nathan did to his MRC zook, but he did front and rear..lol
I know that the losi 'insane' 380 is a drop in fit. Same as the mini slider and mini-T/mini dester truck.
What ESC you looking at Rizza?
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 pm

The first 2 are more designed for air as they don't have a rverse setting by the looks of it. The 25A will be good if you want a speed machine but the 18A motor combo would probably best suit what you are after.
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Back to top Go down

Post  stika Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 am

I have a lot of success with the ezrun
you will need to go a minimum 25A but i would be tending to move towards the 35A for e few $$ more. i was running the 35A on My 2.2 and when you were slow crawling it would stop and go out on over temp. I moved to the 60A and have had no dramas.

My scaler is currently running a 35A with no dramas.

Make sure you by a version 2

stika

Legend Status : 0

http://www.rockcrawlingqld.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:52 am

Im with Brett on this one, All my rigs run 35a EZruns (hobbywing/yeah racing/turnigy) they're a great little speedy. i've never had a issues with them at all.
You may get away with a 18a speedy, but 35a will give you some head room jsut in case.
this is the speedy i'd go for: [url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Turnigy-Brushless-ESC-35A-CAR-ESC-/220678891550?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item33617ca81e [/url]
Or from hobby king: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=7186

as for motor's i'd go for an outrunner eg. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6412

If you stick around the 1200-1400kv mark, it should have a nice kick of wheel spead but should be fairly smooth down low.

WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  RiZZa Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 am

Thanx for the advice guys, I'll order the esc next week. My only concern with looking at the outrunner motors is they're not sealed so first run in the mud will be my last ?
RiZZa
RiZZa

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:59 am

Is the outrunners like what Brett uses?...if so because the outer housing moves,this won't be good for mud/water.(blender)
I'd go with the Ezyrun sensorless....cheap & reliable.
I run a 120a esc...no probs at all.(the bigger the better).

Dam about your tic tac box.....i just Velcro'ed mine.....easy as.
scottb
scottb

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:40 am

Is the outrunners like what Brett uses?...if so because the outer housing moves,this won't be good for mud/water.(blender)

Yeah thats the ones, i use them as well scotty.
Its not an issue man. You just make sure you clean them out after a run in mud and oil the bearings & they're sweet.
Theres a few guys down south from TCP that run them on their scalers with no issue either.

If you're worried about it. Hobbyking has some lower KV 380 sized inrunners like this that might be the go.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:58 am

Oh.....Okay cheers
scottb
scottb

Back to top Go down

Post  RiZZa Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Oh wow Shocked One more question; with these esc's, does it not matter which motor type I use ie: say I went the outrunner first because I want to get my truck running again sooner rather than later and then later on change over to the inrunner motor for peace of mind without needing a different esc ?
RiZZa
RiZZa

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Doesn't matter what type as long as they are both brushless.
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 am

Rustykaos wrote:Doesn't matter what type as long as they are both brushless.

yeah what he said rizza.
You might need to screw around with the ESC programming to get it to run the same, but other than that. No issues.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  RiZZa Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:43 am

Awesome. But after sleeping on it and checking out other forums, I'll go with the 35 amp esc and out runner motor. Thanks for all the advice again Very Happy
RiZZa
RiZZa

Back to top Go down

Post  stika Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:57 am

I have a few different rating outrunners, let me know if you want to try any different sizes.

I use the emax brand in all of my cars and have only evere had one fail, that was in my Losi where it used to get stupidly hot

stika

Legend Status : 0

http://www.rockcrawlingqld.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 am

Cool, sounds good Rizza!
I'd take a punt at around 1200kv for the first motor you try. Its a good balence for a scaler.

Let us know how you got man.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  RiZZa Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:32 am

Well after raping the pinion by attempting to convert it from 2mm to 3mm after farking it up completly, I bought a 48p 12t from Ozrc.
This morning my order from Hobby King has turned up and now its back to the drawing board as the motor is a lot bigger than first thought pale I may get away with massaging the gearbox but I'm unsure how much meat of I have to play with. Either way the motor plate will have to be redrilled to suit the bigger size. Now I'm feeling tested pale
RiZZa
RiZZa

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:02 am

Mmmm....the joys of building,you sound like your on top of it Ryan....good luck with the rest of it. So you wont be ready for Qrock,thats a sham man was looking forward to catching up.
scottb
scottb

Back to top Go down

Post  RiZZa Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 am

Scotty its a case of 'When dremels attack'. The overall OD of the motor is 3mm - 3.5mm bigger so it may work, fingers crossed. Eventually if there is gearbox issues I'llprobably have to change over to a Traxxas 1/16 gearbox from e - revo as it has 4mm outputs or go up to to an Axial gearbox with a stampede shaft conversion.
RiZZa
RiZZa

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:12 am

Suck to hear about the motor issues. Best of luck with that one Riz.
Should be sweet when its done though man.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum