The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Motor Needed for the Lux

3 posters

Go down

New Motor Needed for the Lux Empty New Motor Needed for the Lux

Post  Aperture Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:25 am

hi guys

i currently run a brushed 35T tekin motor but am wanting some more wheel speed. any suggestions as to what would be good in the lux ?
Aperture
Aperture

Legend Status : 7

Back to top Go down

New Motor Needed for the Lux Empty Re: New Motor Needed for the Lux

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 am

What ESC are you running?
What voltage are you using?
What gearing are you running?
Big question, when was the last time your motor was rebuilt? (shameless i know)

If you can run it. Shove 3s lipo through its guts, that will wake the bastard up.
If you're still running stock gearing, going up a few teeth on the pinion gear will change its speed a bit. Keep the temps under 70*c on the outside of the can & you're golden.
If you motor hasnt been touched since you put it in, it's is definitely overdue for a rebuild which would cause a drop in performance as well.

If you change to a faster (more RPM) motor, 99.99% of the time you will lose torque, and efficiency goes down as well.
You can gain torque at the wheels back by gearing it down. But a faster motor will simply stall out a lot easier when you ask it to do work. (its to do with the circular mills of copper within the motor arm, and the way the magnetize the poles of the arm.... i think....)

You're better off keeping the 35t and just looking after it and trying what i suggested above..

If you are really dead set on going for a faster motor, HPI does a 30t designed for their cup racer. Thats all i would recommend.
99% of the 27t's are either stock motors (split arms, designed for RPM only, 24* locked timing) or silver cans (which aint worth ####).

Hope it helps scotty.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Aperture Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 am

thanks troy.

the motor is still stock from the box. nothing done to it, not even a rebuild. job coming your way ??

i am running the tekin esc as well that came with the motor / esc combo and 7.4 2s lipos all with standard gearing out of the box.

what size pinion do you suggest and $$$ for a rebuild ?
Aperture
Aperture

Legend Status : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 am

Happy to help man.

Yeah if you're motor hasnt been touched since new, its definitely overdue for a rebuild. Most likely the springs have lost tension and it will need new brushes & a comm cut.

If you're using the FX-R its rated at 3s lipo when running a 35t motor or higher. So 3s lipo would be the best option. That way you dont loose any torque (you gain it) and you also pick up extra speed due to the extra 3.7volts.

In the interim you could look at gearing up to at least a 16 or 18t pinion. I'm pretty sure Nathan is running a 22t pinion (or bigger) with his 35t in his honcho. Biggest issue with gearing up to high is you loose torque at the wheels as it takes a while for everything to spool up, plus it is easier to stall out the motor.

Motor rebuilds vary, but the price is usually $20. That's motor clean, comm cut, new brushes & springs, hood align & break in.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 pm

WIDELOAD:

As per your replies to this, I'm curious also, being new to the Crawler engines. You mentioned to run a 16 or 18tooth pinion, I see the standard pinion is 14tooth.

1. How does the extra teeth improve performance etc? i.e 14-16, is it just to get more speed out of the vehicle? And is this advantageous from a non flat driving surface point of view?

2. I have a couple of spare 17tooth and 19tooth steel pinions from my 2WD set up. Are these ok to use in line with your advice, or if not, what would happen if i did.

I ask becuase i'm just wondering whether i should look for a 16 and/or 18tooth for my kit or keep what i have.

Thanks,

Jason.
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Jason. The bigger the motor pinion the higher the gear ratio so you will pick up wheel speed. So for the times that you need a speed to bump up over stuff, or need that bit more speed it works to your advantage.
With a brushed crawler motor they produce enough torque, that you can gear it slightly higher and not loose too much down low.

If you go too big on the pinion you will loose torque and make the motor easier to stall out.

WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:39 pm

I have a 19tooth and a 17tooth steel pinion from Traxxas, are they ok to use for the extra speed? Or are they a bit too much?
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Just try them mate. It comes down to how it 'feels' to you.

Keep an eye on temps, as long as the motor doesnt get over 70*c on the outside of the can you're sweet.

Just make sure that the pitch of the gears are the same (stock axial is 48p)
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:02 pm

ok cheers, might play it safe with a 16tooth but play wth the 14 first.

Pitch? I'm not overly technical here, what does the pitch do?

Appreciate your patience here
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Pitch is the angle & distance between the teeth of the gear.If the pitch of the gears doesnt match you will strip them.
What did the pinions come off? You said from traxxas, but which car?
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 am

When I was upgrading my engine from brushed to brushless in my Tamiya 2WD, i got some advice to upgrade the standard Tamiya pinion. I was told the steel ones from Traxxas were good so I got a 17tooth but also got a 19tooth by accident (wrongly ordered), so have them as spares.
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:20 am

Yeah but depending on what car they are for as to whether they will mesh with the gear.

Just hold them against the spur, if they met properly go for it. If not new pinions are cheap.

WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down