The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinions vs. motor

+3
BIGBOY
REDNUT
Jayboy74
7 posters

Go down

Pinions vs. motor Empty Pinions vs. motor

Post  Jayboy74 Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm

OK, after last weeks comp, i rekcon i failed in the oomph department, so here's what i was thiking and let me know if i'm good or not:

Keep the Tekkin 35T in, upgrade to 3S, and 21tooth pinion. Will this work? if so will the 21 tooth pinion fit with the 82tooth, main gear i have or will i have to change it out.

Second option, i have a Tamiya sports motor in matty's hornet, put it in, 21 tooth pinion, again change or keep main gear?

If going to 3S, what do i need to look for in batteries, as in Mah, like i know to buy a 4000-5000Mah 2S, but know nothing about 3S,

also what type of larger pinion do i need?

Anyway let me know what is the better option.

P.S. I was going to keep the 35T for comps where torque is a factor, as i reckon my rig is string in that, but where i need brute force, i reckon i would change out the above options, depending on the comp.
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Pinions vs. motor Empty Re: Pinions vs. motor

Post  REDNUT Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 pm

i bought a few from hobbyking fairly reasonable price, i ran a zippy flightmax 2s 1800mah on sunday....but a tamiya 27t motor cause my brushless is still somewhere in china i believe,

my 3s batteries are turnigy nano-tech 4400mah with 65c-130c i havent had a run with them not sure if they will fit the dingo yet, hope they do, slight waste of coin if i can get them in

the higher that c rateing is the more punch it will be able to give... or so im told
aparently the 1st is the continious load and the 2nd is the burst, not sure if thats in amps or what though

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19145__Turnigy_nano_tech_4400mah_3S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack.html

REDNUT

Legend Status : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Just get a 45 series body that should help lol !!!
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 am

That gearing is higher than what i would use and would recommend. Nathan was running from memory around a 21t pinon/87 spur and he did have to keep an eye on motor temps.

I run anywhere from 13-18t pinion with 87t spur (main gear) on 3s in all my scale rigs. That gives me enough pep when i need with without loading up the motor too much. Don't forget you're feeding more volts into the motor so its going to be turning faster. You shouldn't gear up... The saying is Gear Down, Volt up for a reason.
Take the Mog. It runs a 45t motor on 3s with 16/87 gearing. The honcho, a 35t equivalent Holmes motor with the same 16/87 gearing. They both have enough poke to get moving as required but everything runs cool due to the lower gearing.

Tamiya sports tuned motors are great for that they are if small buggies and on road, but they suck giant donkey in a crawler (comparatively speaking) with crap windings and not anywhere near enough torque.

As i said to you at the comp, all you need to do is add a 3s battery and run it.
Now i'll correct it, add a 3s battery, check your gearing and don't f*ck with anything else.

As for buying batteries. I use 3s 2200mah Zippy packs, the smaller packs are cheaper, less weight and easier to put where you want them to get the weight where it's needed. I still get around 20mins of full throttle stupidity or up to an hour at slow crawl/trailing.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Troy, will go the 3S set up and may go from a 14tooth to a 16 just for shits and giggles. (What pitch do you reccommend i use to fit the 87 spur.

Also i think i have asked this before but couldnt be f...d searching, some of the guys can't remember name, had geared up front geared down rear or something like that in his diff, what is the best combo again? He said it was an excellent combo....God i'm bad with names, he had the blue honcho with the orange bonnet.. you know who you are.

anyway what can i do, thanks chaps.
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  azwa Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 am

48 dp for axial o/drive front / u/drive rear ...
that sounds like chucks truck mate...
azwa
azwa

Legend Status : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  lunatick Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 am

I,ve got overdriven gears in the front and standard in the rear of mine , does seem to help it climb i think scratch
definately does better donuts if you do it the other way but Very Happy

PS All donuts were done on a closed course in a controlled enviroment by a professionel driver , before you get any ideas about impounding my Honcho under the anti hooning laws Jay affraid

lol! lol! lol!
lunatick
lunatick

Legend Status : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:56 am

I've been looking for these aswell but someone told me on the day that axial are making new design with the hole through them that's why there hard to get at the moment . I think it was jarrod but don't quote me ?
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 pm

lunatick wrote:I,ve got overdriven gears in the front and standard in the rear of mine , does seem to help it climb i think scratch
definately does better donuts if you do it the other way but Very Happy

PS All donuts were done on a closed course in a controlled enviroment by a professionel driver , before you get any ideas about impounding my Honcho under the anti hooning laws Jay affraid

lol! lol! lol!

It was you, that said this, thank you, and well your defence was doing really well till you said... proefssional driver then i knew it was B.S.!!! lol!

so to search for overdriven gears and underdriven gears what do i look for does anyone have any EBay links or hobby shop links to refer to so i know what I'm looking at.

And yes a good policeman should be able to investigate this thoroughly.. but who said i was good at what i do.??

Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  lunatick Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I got mine from www.rpphobby.com about a year ago
lunatick
lunatick

Back to top Go down

Post  azwa Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:50 pm

jay ya really only want to do 1 or the other ,
having the ratios to far apart on terrain where traction is not an issue ,
can become an issue for your driveline ....
thats not to say people dont run o & u drive ,
youve got to be weary of ya set up thats all....
azwa
azwa

Legend Status : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:43 am

There on ebay too looks like 36/14 and 38/14 too different ads does any one know what's standard ?
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:57 am

It looks like axial have the new ones listed on their website now (see the pic) with the hole in the shaft. Very Happy

Standard set is 38T/13T and hardened set part: AX30395
Pinions vs. motor Ax30395-1

Overdrive set is 36T/14T and part no: AX30401
Pinions vs. motor Ax30401-1

Underdrive set is 43T/13T and part no: AX30402
Pinions vs. motor Ax30402-1

I am currently running the underdrive gears in the rear (I couldn't find the overdrive anywhere) and this helps greatly with steering and as Azwa has said only do one or the other.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 am

Now it's getting confusing. Rusty is running under drive rear for better steering how's the pedrance otherwise and lunatics running overdrive front and from what I saw he was doing exceptionally well on the hills.

Lunatic what motor and battery do you run.

What I guess I'm trying to do is I'm happy with how the rig runs for areas that require torque over wheel speed. I'm going to chuck in 3s. And from my Understanding it will do good things but thought if I have some better hearing it will also imProve my torque usage as well.

What's the best price you guys have paid for a long lasting 3s. Best I've seen is about $35 for a 2200 zippy. Anyone got any better for this tighter than a fishes asshole.

Also some of you make thereal linkages for honcho I think. If so what price for the 90 and 106mm rods to replace mattys plastic ones. Best I've got is $16 delivered per pair
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:02 am

Running stock in the front with underdrive in the rear is the same as running overdrive front with stock in the rear. What this does is pull the more from the front so you can steer better. As for doing a hill climb wheel speed is the key so overdrive front with overdrive rear would give a speed boost. Razz
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  lunatick Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Jayboy74 wrote:Lunatic what motor and battery do you run.
I,m running a 2500Kv Scorpion outrunner motor with a Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC on either 3C 2200mah Redback lipo or 3C 1300 Redback lipo
Pinion and spur wise i,m running Robinson racing 14 tooth Pinion and Robinson Racing 87 tooth Spur as i,ve said before i,m running Overdrive gears in the front axle 36T/14T and stock 38T/13T in the rear diff
lunatick
lunatick

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:24 pm

lunatick wrote:
Jayboy74 wrote:Lunatic what motor and battery do you run.
I,m running a 2500Kv Scorpion outrunner motor with a Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC on either 3C 2200mah Redback lipo or 3C 1300 Redback lipo
Pinion and spur wise i,m running Robinson racing 14 tooth Pinion and Robinson Racing 87 tooth Spur as i,ve said before i,m running Overdrive gears in the front axle 36T/14T and stock 38T/13T in the rear diff

excellent thank you. Everytime i see your vehicle drive it seems to be effortless andjust boils down to decisions made on what lines to take etc, so I'd like to be the same, for next comp.
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  lunatick Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 am

Jay if you get on Ebay and search for Turnigy Brushless outrunner 2500kv you can get one for $ 27 posted ,the seller is stuz14
I got one for my TF2 and it seems to be as good as the Scorpion one for a fraction of the price .
However you do need an adaptor plate to mount it to the Axial Gearbox , Axial make one and its part no is AX 30490
lunatick
lunatick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down