The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LED Setup need advice

2 posters

Go down

LED Setup need advice Empty LED Setup need advice

Post  monsterf350 Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Ok fellow scalers here is the This is what I have to wire up

4 headlights 4 front indicators
4 brake/taillights 2 rear indicators
2 reversing spotties 7 forward facing spotties
turnigy led strip used for side makers and roof clearence

I have 1 tlu-02 and 2 tlu-01

the headlights indicators and brake/taillights reverse spotties will all get hooked up to the TLU-02 to control1 of the TLU-01. Now with the second TLu-01 Im gonna try and use a CastleCreation BEC from the recieve on channel 5 to power the other TLU-01 to run the front spotties. I know the BEC supplies power from that battery but was wondering if it can handle power coming from the reciever to power the TLU.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec_diagrams/ccbec_wiring.html

Cause what i want to accomplish is to use channel 5 to turn the front spotties off and on

With the turnigy led light strip I might just hook them up to a switch from the main battery. (Im gonna run the TLU-02 system off of a seperate 2s battery)

Any help/tips/advice would be great
monsterf350
monsterf350

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

LED Setup need advice Empty Re: LED Setup need advice

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:36 pm

A CC BEC will handle up to 6s lipo input so its not going to be phased by the voltage coming from the receiver. Your biggest issue is going to be the output voltage.

In my experience a BEC usually needs at least 0.2v - 0.5v difference between input and output voltages for it to work properly.

So if you have 6v input from say your receiver, ideally you will need to set the CC BEC to 5.5v.
This will probably lead to the LEDs being not as bright as they could be. Due to the input voltage into the light controller (output from the BEC) being below the nominal input voltage the controller is set up for (usually 7v or something like that).

There is absolutely no reason i can think of that it won't work. It's just your LEDs might not be as bright as they could be and/or the light controller might not function properly due to the lower voltage input than it was designed for.

The other issue you might run into is that it might draw too many amps from the receiver causing brown outs to the servo etc. Meaning you might need another BEC to power the receiver/servo etc. Rolling Eyes scratch
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

LED Setup need advice Empty thanks for the advice

Post  monsterf350 Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Im running the MMP esc which can put out up to 7 volts. I checked and the reciever can handle 7 volts so no prob there the servo's can handle that 2. Im going to be running 3s so have heaps of voltage to play with.

Only the spotlights will be running from the BEC the rest of the lights will be powered by their own 2s battery

So I think if if put the BEC voltage at around 6.6volts hopefully everything should be sweet.

Just got to wait for the DX6i and servo's to turn up then can start to have a play around

Thanks for the advice

One last question have you ever programmed a tlu-02 the instruction are abit of a head scratcher javascript:emoticonp('Crying or Very sad')
monsterf350
monsterf350

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:04 am

Just remember that your servo will also be getting the voltage that you feed the receiver. So make sure your servo can handle that input.

Also with the MMP when you increase the internal BEC voltage, you decrease the amps it is able to supply.
So you will probably run into brown out issues when you try to steer it as the servo will draw more amps than the internal BEC can supply.

Running 3s means nothing to what you are doing with the lights. In all it might make issues worse regarding the output of the internal BEC. Generally the higher the input voltage into the ESC, the lower Amp output the internal BEC usually is.

That's why with a sidewinder or Fx-R you need to run an external bec when you are using a half decent servo....Shyt, i ran into issues running a 645mg off a sidewinders internal BEC on 3s and a 645 only draws 2amps at stall. affraid

Personally never dealt with TLU-02....I dont use light controllers with my gear, i just wire it up the LEDs to power.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

LED Setup need advice Empty Many Thanks

Post  monsterf350 Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:54 am

I will just see what happens once all the gear turns up

Now just got to work on a new steering setup now that the motor is sitting over the front axle where the servo's used to live.
monsterf350
monsterf350

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down